Lesson 5.1 Activity
1. Take a moment to read Robert Strohmeyer\s post at PCWorld about how he used Advanced Search to verify this quote: "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy".
Here are some other interesting online resources that examine the authenticity of quotes:
- Anatomy of a Fake Quotation by Megan McArdle of The Atlantic
- How to Spot a Fake by Anna Berkes, research librarian at Monticello
- QuoteInvestigator by Garson O'Toole
2. Have you ever had a search result, where you doubted its truth? What did you see that made you doubt it? Reflect on this before proceeding to the next lesson. How do YOU determine if something is fake or not? If you have a thought, share it to the Forum (5.1 Activity). We're interested in what makes you think something is believable... or not.